Meet of Miles Recap

January 12th, 2010 · 2 Comments

While it has been many months since the last post, today’s is also for a mile race.

Last night was the Meet of Miles at the U of M Fieldhouse.  Going in, I was hoping I had retained enough speed from last summer to still get under 5:10 for the mile.  I have had little to no speedwork at all since last fall, unless you count the short sprints during frisbee, basketball or more recently broomball.  Warming up around the track I wasn’t feeling great.  Everything has been sore the past couple of weeks ever since broomball started.  Just doing a few strides along the track didn’t quite “feel” right.  Oh well.

I was in a heat with people running between 4:55 and 5:15 so I was expecting the race to start quickly as most races seem to do.  I started in the second furthest position which I thought was good so that I’d be able to tuck in behind all the rabbits out of the gate.  The only person I recognized in my heat was Pete Kessler, one of my high school coaches.

The starter yelled “Go!” and we were off.  It didn’t start as quickly as I had thought and I was stuck in lane 3 in the backstretch.  Passing the 100m mark, I quickly looked down at my watch and saw 21 and 22 tick by.  Oops.  Way to slow.  I stayed outside in about 8th position overall and moved around a few people as we came through the first lap in what looked like 40 or 41.  I started to pick it up since nobody else seemed to want to and I passed a couple people moving up to second place.

Going through the quarter it looked like the clock said 1:16.  Time to get going.  I kept trying to push the pace and not get too relaxed.  Surprisingly, the pace felt pretty good although I knew that feeling wouldn’t last much longer.  During laps 3 and 4 I just tried to maintain 5 minute pace so I could bank as much time as possible before I started tightening up.  It seemed to work as I passed the half in 2:31.

The race was looking good and I knew I just had to muscle through laps 5 and 6 to try and maintain my pace.  After 6 laps, the clock read 3:47 and I was still in second position with the leader about 20 or 30 meters ahead.  The thought in my head was that if I just ran 80 seconds for the last quarter, I could reach my goal of breaking 5:10.

With 2 laps to go, I was passed by 3 guys including Pete.  I was actually glad they passed me because it gave me something to chase once they went by.  I tried to stay right behind them for lap 7.  I don’t remember what the clock said for the bell lap.  I just tried to push for a strong finish.  Coming around the final curve I managed to get by Pete and as I finished the clock said 5:04.

I haven’t seen official results yet, but I’m pretty happy to be this quick this early in the year.  The next race is only 11 days away.  The Winter Carnival Half Marathon will be a good test to see how much endurance I’ve kept from last year.

Update: Looks like my official time was 5:04.7 so I wasn’t too far off.

Tags: Athletic Endeavor

2 responses so far ↓

  • 1 muxhut // Jan 12, 2010 at 12:16 pm

    You gotta add “(req’d)” tags on “Name” and “Mail”. I hate trying to retype a comment.

    Anyway, as I was saying …

    Why on earth you would subject yourself to an indoor track in any season is beyond me, but nice job on the 5:04. It must have sweet to beat an old coach, too. Look out, Miko.

  • 2 roughkat // Jan 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm

    I’ll look into the comments.

    I wanted to run a race to get a baseline for where I’m at right now. While I’ll be running ultras this summer, I still want to run some fast stuff and this helps plan the training. Although, I forget how dry it is running indoors and how much my throat hurts afterwards.

Leave a Comment